Sunday, May 8, 2011

Cinco in the Gulch 5k Run, 2011

Wow, what a day yesterday was. I woke up with race day jitters, which I found to be funny. I new
I wasn't expecting to win anything. I new my time was going to be slow. But there it was in the pit of my stomache, a little ache.

Also, a little voice in my head that kept saying, "You have already done all the hard work, you don't really need to do this.

What is happening, all this negative talk going on in my head. Stop, no more, I am going to do this. The journey from the Couch to the 5K was a big step for me. I have worked hard for this and today is my reward. I want to Run the 5k and to be able to mark my 1st goal as complete.

So, I had to work in the morning and again in the evening at 10:00 pm. My family is 7 hours away except for my son who really needs to stay home. I would love to have brought him to the race, but I didn't have any definate plans to have someone there to stand with him while I was running. So, I had to plan accordingly to make the day work out so I could run the 5k. Everything did work out and I made it to the race.

What a great turnout, well over 2200 people were there. Most people didn't pick-up the packets on Thursday. So, registration was slow and we ended up starting the run 20 minutes late. That was fine by me, I was thinking about the past couple of months of preperation that lead me to this point. I wasn't going to stress over 30 minutes.

A friend from Church and our Small Group came out to support me. Caryn, mentioned to him I was going to be alone out there. Marty, took time out of his Saturday and came out. Having Marty out there meant more than I realized. I am not sure why I like to think it is ok to be an island. Maybe because I never want to be an imposition on anyone. I want to be independent and not have to lean on anyone. Is that just a Male Ego thing ? Well, it was very nice to have Marty out there.

The Race finally started and wow what a start. It was like a heard of cows getting under way. Many, many people passed me. I couldn't believe how fast so many people were starting out.  I knew the pace I had practiced would bring me to the finish line in about 50 minutes. I have been listening to podcasts done by Angie Spencer from Marathon Training Academy. Her voice was in my head, don't let your emotions take control. Run your race. 

After about a half mile the crowd had thinned and I had an ear bud in my ear listening to the music I had been practicing to. The music was something familiar for me to keep my minds eye on.

This 5K route took us by the Tennesse State Capitol building which is on a high hill. That was the toughest part for me. I hadn't practiced on any hills yet and for me, this was tough. According to the map the road elevation 425' to 540' in less than a mile. I passed many people in the first mile and had to walk the last few feet to reach the top. I was then able to catch my breath and find my pace.

I thought my finishing time was 52:30, but the results showed I ended up finishing the race in 51:15. Then I remember the time difference was when the clock started and when I crossed the finish line. So, I did better than I thought. No matter how much I tell myself this race wasn't about your time, my mind ends up focusing on the numbers . I was very happy about that time, my body was tired and I new I gave it my all.

I had heard about marathoners getting emotional after they complete their runs. I found myself doing the same thing after this 5k. I hadn't expected those emotions to be welling up inside me after only finished the 5k. Not wanting to get emotional I was thinking why am I feeling this way. Then the positive side of my brain tells me , "You finished your 1st 5k, that was a great success and you deserve to be proud. Stop with the negative talk."

Then I see Marty and it was just so nice to have someone there. Marty is a very compassionate person at our church and he has the most contagious smile and laugh. His heart for the Lord shines through his core, Thank you again Marty for your support.
                      



Cinco in The Gulch 5K RUN: 51:15
Completed.

When I first saw this video, I didn't think I was going to post it. As the negative and positive voices in my head continue to battle, I give it to the Lord and remind myself, "I can Do Everything Through Christ who gives me strength." Phillippians 4:13 

So, here I am, giving it all I have acheiving my First in hopefully many Successful steps in acheiving a healthy lifestyle. Thank you again Marty for taking the video.  

Not much time passed by and my family did call and I know they all support me.

Allyson, thank you for your on going support. You have a heart of gold and what a great Mothersday weekend for you to be able to be able to share it with so many special people. I Love you and I am so proud of who you are. 

Caryn, I appreciate your on going support. Our marriage has been a blend of us working together and also independently through Lifes challenges. I love you for who you are and celibrate your strengths as a great caregiver and wonderful mother. Our childeren and grandchild are very blessed to have you as a mother, Happy Mothers day.



1 comment:

  1. I know I keep telling you this, but I'm going to say it again. You absolutely inspire me, I'm so proud of you...and I love you so much. Life is what you make of it, Life is what you choose. I guess we just expect our family to jump on the band wagon of health with us, and hearing how you just do it alone helps me-because I have to be the one that decides to make a change and do it alone (and when I say do it alone, it's the physical part to be undertaken alone)...I don't by any means want to make light of the emotional support thay is given by the family, because that means just as much. It's so easy for me to NOT get up and move.....but now that I have plans to attach myself to the right hip of your blog, it's what will get me motivated. "I can do all things....." that verse you typed resignates.

    Your looking good and I bet you're feeling great!!
    ---waiting on your next posting
    ------Sabrina

    ReplyDelete